Wednesday 8 June 2011

Swim when you're winning (or sidelined with injury)

Went for another swim today! No running (shin splints = f***king average). I’m starting to really enjoy it! I guess I’ve always been a competent swimmer - one of my earliest memories (if not the earliest) is of waves towering over me at Byron Bay as a toddler… I’m gonna assume Dad was there with me! So, although I’m sure my form is horrible, I certainly don’t have to think about it at all.

It’s difficult to go hard enough to really feel exhausted in 20-30 minutes, owing to the fact your head’s underwater most of the time but you definitely notice your midsection’s all pumped up and looking buff when you finish and my HR feels about 130-140 which could be higher, but is definitely worthwhile anyhow. Just ask this random weblink - it knows stuff. http://swimming.about.com/od/swimworkouts/a/swim_benefit.htm. And it’s an awesome workout for your core – my personal feeling is it teaches your CNS to co-ordinate the entire body into the one fluid motion, and my body becomes accustomed to, and then onto being good at that, my body will be more able to transfer power from my shoulders to my hips and legs while running (countering movements), and also be able to generate more power faster and safer in situations such as hills etc.

Assuming I can run! My tibialis posterior and associated tendon now feels like a DOMS-style sore, rather than a strain. But, it’s still sore, one week on. I really did a number on it. Thank God I did some research, and found I needed to stop running immediately. It does mean missing another speedwork session tomorrow morning though.

I hate feeling lazy! But I know I’m not being anything even close to it, and I wouldn’t be the first guy to feel lazy, run when he oughtn’t and end up sidelined for months. Not this little black duck. However, it’s extremely frustrating. I’ve created a new goal where I’m working myself with crosstraining and core exercises so when I do begin running again, I’ll notice the difference – lighter and stronger. This way I have a vested interest in not coming back too early. If I do, I may not notice a definite improvement! And if I don’t work hard I definitely won’t. So it’s a good way forward to keep me motivated.

Did I mention ‘screw you, life’? I’m sure I did. If not, I’d like to say screw you life, and reiterate nothing will ever stop me! So obstacles are cake, at best irritating, and will only make me stronger so let’s just accept the paradigm that I’ll always win eventually, and try and get along, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment